Recently, I met someone on Facebook via one of the social networking groups I belong to. Learned about her “dilemma” and how she has always wanted to be a virtual assistant but is not quite sure on how to go about it and where to access stuff pertaining to this profession.
Here are a few items I shared with her, which have helped me immensely when I was starting out in the virtual assistance industry (I’d like to think that we never stop learning new things and relearning old stuff):
Here are a few helpful items to look into………….
1. We need to know who we are and what we do. There are a lot of helpful links out there and here’s one.
2. Download the latest version of Microsoft Office (I have 2010 and it works fine). Let me know if you still don’t have it in your system and I’ll look for the link to my free download.
3. Make Google Search your best friend. You can search for anything, even as simple as how to learn how to type.
4. Watch YouTube tutorials (how-tos). Type anything in the search field that you want to know about such as “how to open a document in Excel”, etc. and follow the simple steps in the video.
5. Practice practice practice until you’re comfortable with a skill.
I’m planning to put up a series of how-tos on this, depending on the feedback this will generate. Or perhaps a quick video would do the trick?
What has been the most important lesson you can impart to someone who is new in the business?